Saturday, February 25, 2012

Going back to *mostly* vegan

Over the past 8 or 10 - maybe 15 - years I have dabbled in vegetarianism and veganism. Always been a bit icky when it comes to meat and dairy. I've long been - at least partially - aware of what the food industry is doing to the earth and its creatures. I've long erred on the conservative side of greener eating - free range eggs, kangaroo (which are culled here to manage their impact of native vegetation and fauna in its post white-settlement incarnation) have been pretty fine for long periods. Currently I'm veg most days (5 or 6 out of 7. The exceptions? Eating out & when blue vein cheese & wine (rarely vegan here) are forced down my throat. Fortitude is pretty much my middle name =)




Last year, coming home to Aust and wanting to fit back into the cultural rhythm (at least as I perceived it to be) of my not so well family, I lapsed (for convenience?) into a way of eating that hasn't served me well. Combined with a lack of exercise (= lack of connection with body) I sortta quashed the fact that I don't like meat - with a desire not kick up a fuss; I sorrta quashed the fact that I don't like dairy - with a desire to not kick up a fuss. When family friends showed love and support by bringing over pre-cooked (non veg) meals and invited me to dinner, I'd accept the meal and pick the veg from around the edges. Weirdly a slippery slide. "Not enjoying this but need to chew for acceptance in situation a"  ... which then becomes "in situation b" and "in situation c" 


So easy to put what I think others want from me before what I want from myself. Giving of oneself to honour others is a show of respect, I believe. Knowing your boundaries is something I'm learning. 


What my family, friends & society things I eat. Me: really should add a carrot or 2 into my diet . They're good 4 you right?


To distill - I'm moving back to my version of veganism - 'cause it feels right for me and my beliefs today. Let's see what tomorrow brings!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment