Monday, February 13, 2012

Pinning and doing

I am a recent convert to Pinterest - a haven for middle to upperclass women aged late 20s to early 40s (I pretend this isn't me but it sorta is. Just remember, we come in all shapes and sizes and have a suite of (not the most diverse but not necessarily uniform) world views.)


Over the past week I have been planning out my future via other people's 'boards' and pretty pictures on the internet. Wrong, I know..... BUT .... it is helping me be more future focussed. What do I like doing, being, making, viewing...etc? Thus, what should I focus on today? Less hung up on feeding my self protective obsessions. Not a massive deal, but echoing last post ... baby steps.


Ashamedly, I am a reactive soul far too often. Working to shape who I am, who I want to be (for me, for others) and proactively engaging with the world - well, that's the goal. Having a want based on what others' desire (i.e = Pinterest community) is a baby step. Setting goals around something that's not yesterday's experiences or an unachievable future is a super stride. Just you wait til I get there.


How was today's Oxfam Trailwalker training walk?


So glad you asked.


7:30 on the train to Frankston (It will soon become apparent that I am not an avid photographer and own only a bottom of the line shooter which I used for the first time in 6 months yesterday).
On the train to Frankston
Things started on an ominous note. Rolling, voluminous grey clouds. Intermittent fine mist like rain that soaked me through within the first hour.
Looking back towards Frankston
Each suburb I walked through was marked by a surf life saving club, most setting up for a nippers class, and a fresh set of beach boxes.
Sunny, summer shacks
Times have changed since my cousins lived along the coast in a modest, too small for a family of 6 house with a garden that opened onto the sand.

Money buys views (and solar panels, yeah!)
Things were on the up as I approached Rickett's Point. Would I power on past Mentone station to the next train station accessible from the beach - Sandringham another 10+km on?
Warming sun breaks through as I approach my old home

Calming seas
I went easy on myself (and my blisters acquired on last weekend's big hike). I left the beach here at Mentone. 28,773 steps completed, which based on previous walks is a little over 20km I think
A once-upon-a time pier?
All in all, a reasonable effort. A beautiful way to spend a Saturday morning (My finish time was close to 12pm). A beautiful way to spend time at the beach - a place I haven't visited much this summer. This year, I learnt yesterday, was a the coldest in 10, hence the lack of beach action on my part. It was however the hottest La NiƱa year on record.   

No comments:

Post a Comment